Kate Sykes Cert. TPTD (Certificate in Teaching People and Training Dogs)
I have spent all my life owning or working with dogs and spent over 13 years working for Guide Dogs UK where I gained a City & Guilds level qualification. This included Distinctions in dog handling, body language, canine learning theory, dog care, anatomy and physiology of dogs and veterinary knowledge.
I gained experience of working not only with the dogs in training but also spent time working in the hospital block, where I regularly cared for dogs recovering from operations and those needing specialist care such as diabetes and epilepsy.
I then continued to update my skills and knowledge and in 2019, I qualified as a dog training instructor, being invited to join the Waggawuffins College as one of their approved instructors, having successfully completed the NOCN Endorsed Training Programme ‘The Practical Application of Teaching People and Training Dogs’ gaining a Distinction (95%).
Credentials and Experience:
- The Practical Application of Teaching People and Training Dogs Wagga-Wuffins Endorsed Instructor Training Programme July 2019
- Certified to provide Canine First Aid & CPR by Rachel Bean RVN MCFBA – updated July 2019
- City&Guilds (Ofqual recognised) Dog Welfare and Kennel Management-Guide Dogs UK 1997
- Diploma in Animal Care from Myerscough College-1994
- How to deal with predatory behaviour – Tracey McLennan – March 2021
- The School of Canine Science – Scent for Six – February 2021
- Predation Substitute Training– Canine Principles October 2020
- ACEing Reactivity online Freework workshop with Janet Finlay October 2020
- Scentwork Solutions for Abnormal & Repetitive Behaviours, Fears & Phobias – Morag Heirs September 2020
- Enriched Environments for Professionals – 2 day workshop with Kirsty Grant February 2020
- Three ‘Rs’ Webinar; helping dogs reset, rebalance and release with Sarah Fisher. November 2019
- Introduction to Nosework – Fenzi Dog Sports Academy – 2017
- Nosework Games – Fenzi Dog Sports Academy -2018
- Build your Dog’s Confidence with TTouch – Janet Finlay.
Tellington Touch is a gentle approach to the care and training of animals based on co-operation and respect. It uses a combination of specific touches, lifts, and movement exercises which helps to release tension and increase body awareness. It also helps establish a deeper rapport between humans and animals through increased understanding and more effective communication.
- Licensed and insured
- Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Checked
I am committed to expanding my knowledge of dogs and endeavour to keep myself up-to-date on the latest studies.
- Scent work Enrichment – Canine Principles Accredited Certificate Course