Kate Sykes Cert. TPTD (Certificate in Teaching People and Training Dogs)
I have spent all my life owning or working with dogs and spent over 13 years working for Guide Dogs UK where I gained a City & Guilds level qualification. This included Distinctions in dog handling, body language, canine learning theory, dog care, anatomy and physiology of dogs and veterinary knowledge.
I gained experience of working not only with the dogs in training but also spent time working in the hospital block, where I regularly cared for dogs recovering from operations and those needing specialist care such as diabetes and epilepsy.
I then continued to update my skills and knowledge and in 2019, I was privileged to train with Jane Ardern BSc (Hons) Dip.CABT and qualified as a dog training instructor, being invited to join the Waggawuffins College as one of their approved instructors, having successfully completed the NOCN Endorsed Training Programme ‘The Practical Application of Teaching People and Training Dogs’ gaining a Distinction (95%).
Credentials and Experience:
- The Practical Application of Teaching People and Training Dogs Wagga-Wuffins NOCN Endorsed Instructor Training Programme with Jane Ardern
This 6 month in person training included:
Teaching and Coaching Skills for Instructors
Canine Communication and Stress in Dogs
Development Stages in the Dog and Hormonal Influences from Prenatal through to Sexual Maturity
Beginner Obedience, Life Skills and Handler Skills
Intermediate Obedience, Life Skills and Handler Skills
Advanced Obedience, Life Skills and Handler Skills
Running Successful Classes and One to One Obedience Training Sessions
- UK SNIFFER DOGS Bronze Instructor
- Certified to provide Canine First Aid & CPR by Rachel Bean RVN MCFBA – updated July 2019
- City&Guilds (Ofqual recognised) Dog Welfare and Kennel Management–Guide Dogs UK
- Diploma in Animal Care from Myerscough College
- DogNostics Canine Enrichment Technician Certification
- Going for a Bumble – presented by Helen Phillips Training how to help teach your gundog the difference between ‘going for a walk’ and ‘going hunting’ in the same stimulating environment. Looking at how to create the behaviours for success, and how to use life rewards to maintain the connection and partnership in challenging situations.
- Rock Solid Recall – Canine Principles
- Canine Functional Characters – Dr Isla Fishburn /Canine Principles
- Interative Play Guide – Craig Ogilvie
- Loose Lead Walking – Canine Principles
- Rocket Recall 21 Day Challenge – Simone Mueller
- Powerful Pauses – A workshop on the art of getting stillness from dogs with a high prey drive – Tracey McLennan
- How to deal with predatory behaviour – Tracey McLennan
- The School of Canine Science – Scent for Six
- Predation Substitute Training– a motivation-based and need-oriented training program, designed to stop uncontrolled predatory chasing and to provide safe outlets for your dog’s natural predatory energy – Simone Mueller/Canine Principles
- ACEing Reactivity – ACE Freework workshop with Janet Finlay
- Scentwork Solutions for Abnormal & Repetitive Behaviours, Fears & Phobias – Morag Heirs
- Enriched Environments for Professionals – 2 day in person workshop with Kirsty Grant
- Three ‘Rs’ Webinar; helping dogs reset, rebalance and release with Sarah Fisher.
- Introduction to Nosework – Fenzi Dog Sports Academy
- Nosework Games – Fenzi Dog Sports Academy
- Build your Dog’s Confidence with TTouch – Janet Finlay.
Tellington Touch is a gentle approach to the care and training of animals based on co-operation and respect. It uses a combination of specific touches, lifts, and movement exercises which helps to release tension and increase body awareness. It also helps establish a deeper rapport between humans and animals through increased understanding and more effective communication.
I am committed to expanding my knowledge of dogs and endeavour to keep myself up-to-date on the latest studies.
- CAMadvocate Level 1
A modular course for the canine professional to improve their understanding of canine arthritis, and to define their role in identification, diagnosis, and management of this neglected condition.
- Waggawuffins Canine College
As a member of Jane Arderns Pet Professionals Inner Circle, I get ongoing support and regularly participate in courses, tuturials and attend weekly classes.